- This event has passed.
Move Your Mollusks!
April 17, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
This oyster gardening season has been irregular, to say the least! I hope our little critters kept you company while stuck at home. This year's Move Your Mollusk event will be at Shipyard Point Park in Valparaiso, FL, Saturday, April 17, 2021, from 10-12 pm.
Preparing for Move Your Mollusk:
- Give your garden a good spring cleaning by removing your oysters from their cage and thoroughly clean cage wires and ropes, removing any oysters, mussels, or other organisms before the event.
- If your cage has lots of growth on the wires, chipping away at this task over the next several weeks makes this a less tedious endeavor and additionally helps CBA staff turn around cages for the coming season. We appreciate the help!
Day of Event:
- You will bring your oysters in a cooler or bucket with a damp towel laid over the top; this keeps the oysters from overheating. Do not fill the container with water.
- You will also bring all loaned program equipment (cages, gloves, calipers, brushes, dock ropes, etc.) to return to CBA for inventory.
- If you would like to say "goodbye" to your oyster brood, you are more than welcome to place your oysters on the reefs yourself, wear clothes and shoes you don't mind getting wet.
Remember to sign up for this coming season if you haven’t already done so at our Oyster Gardening Volunteer Page!